I’m a little obsessed with fabric paint, in case you didn’t know – and since discovering the wide world of awesome stuff you can do with it, I’ve hit a color limitation (“but I want artichoke, not granny smith green…”). Not just that, but I found myself thinking – man, this could be cheaper…
Cheaper, with an unlimited color spectrum? Sign me up!
Here’s how to make your own fabric spray paint:
1. Mix your fabric medium with desired paint color (using 1 part medium with 2 parts paint) – I just poured the medium & paint into the spray bottle, closed the spray bottle & shook to mix.
2. Add water in small increments, shake to mix, and spray test. In my case, I made a pretty small amount, so I just added a tablespoon or so of water at a time, closed the bottle, shook it – and sprayed to see if it had reached the consistency I wanted.
1. I used a pretty loosely structured mixing approach – but you may also mix the fabric medium and paint together in a separate container, then pour into the bottle, and add water in small increments until you get it diluted to the point you want (thicker spray solution is good for texture, but may clog the pump; medium consistency gives a good opaque color; if you want more of a watercolor effect, add more water).
2. It was less messy to just pour the medium and paint directly into the spray bottle, so if making a mess is a concern, there you go.
3. Before painting – make sure you prewash the fabric you’re spraying on; after you finish painting, let it dry for 24 hours, then turn the garment inside out and put in dryer for a full cycle to heat-set. When you launder it, wash it inside out with cool water.
- Add glow in the dark medium and you have glow in the dark fabric spray paint. From my research, the mediums out there seem to have a weak, short-lived glow, but if you use them correctly you’ll get decent results (read: if you use a lot of it).
- Use metallic paints (I’d stay away from glitter paints, though).
Projects To Try:
- Here we go! American Flag Shorts
- Upcycled/ Refashioned Leopard Print Scarf