In attempting to home-dye the above scarf in order to use it as part of my holiday decorations, I decided to look for proven methods of dyeing fabrics/ things at home (extra points for natural ways).
Here’s what I came up with..
- Homemade Dyes at PioneerThinking.com
- Recipes for Natural Homemade Dyes and Paints at Cornell U’s Gardening Blog
- How To Dye Clothes Using Natural Methods at TheEcologist.org
- Making Natural Dyes at the Free People Blog
Making it stick…
In researching these methods, I found that the biggest issue with these homemade dyes is ensuring they stick/ don’t wash out – so I also looked up some homemade dye-locks & natural fixatives:
- Seems vinegar & salt win out for best natural fixative (earthdivasblog.com & craftingagreenworld.com agree)
- I also appreciated eHow’s recipe & information on a natural fixative
While I’ll still buy dyes for bigger projects, I’d like to keep experimenting with homemade dyes (who knows? Perhaps one day I’ll convert entirely).
Best reference for color source ideas…
Did I lose you in a sea of links?
Here’s a cheat sheet I came up with, summarizing the steps I found most important…